Monday, April 14, 2008

Raintree Club Social Dance Night

Hmmmmmm......what can I say. It was definately not as charged as I was expecting it to be but then again I think my expectations may have been a bit high.

The event started at 9pm and my partners and I were among the first to arrive. We were greeted at the door by Jessie, a former student of mine and a member of the club, and ushered to our hostess, Margie Kok, who had invited us to the event.

As we settled down at our table, several line dancers from the club's own class (conducted by Lily Chin) were already on the floor going through a few dances. Once we'd gotten our dance shoes on and ordered our drinks and said our hello's, a lovely cha cha came on and Michael and I hit the floor to give it a try. Unfortunately no other couples joined us, I think they were still doing their hello's, so we left the floor when the song ended.

Soon after they played a string of social pieces so Michael and I took my students onto the floor to put them thru their paces and use what they've spent months learning. A couple of line dances were played in between the social pieces so there was a fair share of the floor. A bit of disco was attempted too but it didn't seem to take off with the younger crowd and music soon returned to social and line dance stuff. The club's resident social dance teacher also took to the floor together with his partner and encouraged his students to join him.

I guess for a first attempt, it was good that people did show up to support the event. Hopefully the club will help the Dancesport committee to put on a more attractive event the next time. A good dose of embiance would really help together with a professional sound system. Let's hope Betty and Margie, of the committee, will strive ahead with the next event. Good attempt Ladies.

NOTE : The workshop scheduled for the 18th at SMASH has been called off due to poor response. I believe the studio will attempt to promote another sometime in the near future. Stay tuned.

No comments: